North Korea Announces Possibility of Suspending Denuclearization Talks with US
» » » North Korea Announces Possibility of Suspending Denuclearization Talks with US

North Korea Announces Possibility of Suspending Denuclearization Talks with US

Category Abroad, News | 0

North Korea is considering possibility of suspending talks with the US and reviewing the ban on missile and nuclear tests. It has been reported by the Deputy Foreign Minister of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea Choe Son Hui, informs dt.ua.

According to her, Washington rejected the golden opportunity for talks at the summit. She also warned that Kim Jong Un could review the moratorium on launching missiles and nuclear tests. “We have no intention to yield to the US demands in any form, nor are we willing to engage in negotiations of this kind,” said Choe Son Hui.

This statement of Choe Son Hui was the first one made by the DPRK representatives with the outcome assessment of the summit between the Chairman of the DPRK State Council, Kim Jong Un, and US President Donald Trump.

In the near future, the DPRK leader is expected to make an announcement about his position on denuclearization talks with the US and tell about further steps of Pyongyang.

North Korea claims that Washington should be ready for concessions in order to continue the talks.

Let us remind that on February 27, in Hanoi, a two-day summit between the US and the DPRK heads of states began at which the signing of the declaration was planned. But the summit ended in advance, and the DPRK’s denuclearization agreements failed to be reached.

Donald Trump explained that the DPRK wanted full and immediate lifting of restrictions, but the US could not do it. The US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that the US hoped to sign an agreement with the DPRK, but North Korea was unprepared to comply with the US requirements. Later, the media reported that the reason for the early summit completion was the DPRK refusal to close a secret uranium enrichment company at the request of the United States.

On March 2, it became known that the DPRK partially rebuilt the previously dismantled Sohae rocket launch site which was not in use since August 2018. Looking at the satellite images it becomes clear that reconstruction works take place on a vertical test bench of the engine and a rail structure designed to move missiles at the launch site. It was reported by South Korean intelligence.